Skip to main content

Casino Theatre

 Organization

Biography

The Casino Theatre, of the Newport Casino complex, was built in 1880 by the architectural firm McKim, Mead and White. The theatre’s official opening in 1881 began its run as one of Newport’s most treasured entertainment spaces.

While the theatre’s career began with the hosting of theatrical, silent, and sound films, in 1927 the Casino Theatre went from cotillion status onto something more professional, attracting professional actors from New York and Hollywood. Soon after, during the years surrounding the Great Depression, the Casino Theatre of Newport experienced the negative effects of America’s financial climate, and management responsibilities passed through many hands. From 1943 to 1960, the theatre was resurrected, brought back to its lively roots by producer-director Sara Stamm’s leadership. However, Stamm became ill and the theatre closed from 1960 to 1963. Thankfully, due to a generous donation by Mrs. Margaret Van Alen Bruguiére, the Casino Complex’s Hall of Fame was able to reopen the theatre in 1963, under the new title of Van Alen Casino Theatre.

It was after this reopening that the Salve Regina community garnered frequent use of the Casino Theatre for both educational and entertainment purposes. Beginning in 1970 the Casino Theatre was used by Salve Regina for a series of film presentations titled FLICKS, which were films centered around specific themes important to the university and its students. The theatre operated mostly as a community theatre until structural concerns caused it to close again in 1987.

In the early 2000s, Salve Regina and the Newport community joined forces to raise money for the Casino Theatre’s restoration. The theatre has been running successfully since the restoration was completed in 2010, as a venue rich with history. Salve Regina currently leases the building for educational purposes, with various other Newport entities often using the space for events and services.